Local home sales up – again
Sales and new listings are up in Delaware County
Dec. 7, 2013 The Star Press Written by Keith Roysdon
MUNCIE — Home sales in Muncie and Delaware County continue their upward trend.
New real estate listings and closed sales were up in October, according to figures recently released by the Indiana Association of Realtors.
And the new figures indicate that October is the latest month to see increases. Year-to-date trends are also up.
[Note: Make no mistake, this may suggest its great, but listings are DOWN quite a bit from historic averages — Steve]
Kevin Kirkpatrick, president of the association, said the numbers indicated 2013 had been “remarkable” for real estate.
“Statewide, we are well past the recovery stage and are moving toward a stable, balanced marketplace,” Kirkpatrick said in a press release. “Whether we fully achieve that status depends on real employment and wage growth, as well as consumer confidence.”
In Delaware County:
• New listings were up 17.8 percent in October, to 139. New listings were up 4.9 percent so far this year.
• Closed sales were up 13 percent, to 87, up from 77 a year ago. Closed sales were also up 13 percent for the year to date.
• The median sales price was down 7 percent, to $79,900 from $85,950. But the year-to-date median sales price was $83,000, up slightly over the first 10 months of 2012.
The increasing health of the market was further indicated by how much sellers were getting for their property.
Sellers received 88.8 percent of the original list price in October, up from 88.1 percent a year ago.
So far this year, sellers got 89.6 percent of their original price.
The association said Delaware County has 617 homes on the market, down 5.8 percent from the 655 on the market a year earlier.
Statewide, the group said:
• The average sale price of a home increased 3.6 percent to $144,815.
• The percentage of original list price received increased 1.3 percent to 91.7 percent.
• The number of pending home sales increased 1.4 percent to 5,637.
• The number of new listings increased 3.3 percent to 9,059.